Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Weekend Recap

We had Rachel's birthday party on Friday. It was fun and interesting to meet her new friends. There are certain personality types that make up each circle of friends. As I spent time with this group of girls, I could match up the personality of a new friend with the personality of one of Rachel's friends at her old school.


It was also nice to meet the parents. One of her little friends moved to the United States from Romania about 6 years ago. Another little girl just moved from England about 10 months ago. Kind of made our move seem pretty insignificant.

Rachel decided she didn't want to choose a theme for her party. Instead she chose to decorate with orange and pink.

I found these flowers in the dollar section at Target. They made a fun centerpiece for the table and each of the girls pulled one from the bouquet to take home at the end of the party.


As the party guests arrived we had them decorate their own goody bags. I was surprised how much time and detail they put into this project.

They ate pizza and then made these doorknob hangers. Foamies are a wonderful thing. As long as you get the kind that have the sticky backs, no glue is needed.

Rachel doesn't like cake with a lot of frosting (she doesn't get that from me) so we usually get her a cookie cake.


By the time they had their cookie and ice cream it was time to open gifts and parents started to arrive.

I went to a meeting at the school yesterday and the only other parents who attended were two I had met through Rachel's party. It is nice to have some connections.

Then on Saturday my mom, aunt and grandma came to visit from Indiana. They left this morning. My grandmother doesn't get around really well and doesn't venture out very often so it was a huge deal that she came to visit. We spent a lot of time reliving family folklore. You know the stories you have heard all of your life. Some of them you were even a part of, but you don't know if you really remember it or you've just heard them so many times you think you remember.

I was looking forward to making some memories around the new table and I made some fun ones this weekend.

6 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I love how you decorated! And that cookie looks YUM!

Steph

Anonymous said...

That big beautiful table and you still needed the folding chair (he-he-he) Truely it is a blessing. Chris

Marine Wife said...

Sounds like a great birthday! We need to get on ball here!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Steph-love the pink and orange! Just wish we could have been there in person! Glad everything went well, though.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you and Rachel that the party went well. I love how you decorated. I love the big flowers on the wall. Those could go right up to her room.

Kristy said...

Love the decorations - those flowers were adorable. So happy that Rachel is making lots of friends!